The following is a collection of personal stories, first hand accounts, experiences and photographs from my Peace Corps service in Panama . From 2009 to 2011, I served as a Community Economic Development consultant while living and working in a community located in north-west Panama. Now, I am the Regional Leader of the province of Chiriqui and will be serving in Panama for an additional year, through November 2012.
Picassa Slideshow
"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed—doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.
But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps—who works in a foreign land—will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace."
John F. Kennedy, 1961
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Week 2
As for the rest of the week, I spent a couple of days studying Spanish and going around talking to people in the community and spending time with their families. There were also a couple of community meetings in which I was able to say a few words on the role of the volunteer and what to expect of me. A second meeting was organized where I met with the leaders of the various groups. Davíd, the municipal representative or Corregiador, Arsenio, president of their PTA or Padres del Familia, Federico, president of the health committee, Patricia, president of the artisan group, and Mario, president of the cooperative. I learned a little about their groups, members, and goals. I also explained to them my plan for the next months.
This month, I told them, I was here to learn. Everything here is new and unfamiliar to me. For example, here they have 20 different kinds of bananas. ¨Proyecto Amistad¨ is where I spend time with different people and their families. My favorite part is working with the men (agricolo laboriosus) in their fincas. Every time we go out I see new plants, animals, trees and fruits. Monday, we cut off the leaves of palm that they call Pinca, collected and arranged them for drying in the sun for a week. Once dried, these will be used for the thatched roof of someones house. Last week was spent harvesting coffee, going from tree to tree and hand-picking the ripe beans off each tree. Toucans, hawks, colorful frogs, parrots, venomous lizards, and the like are common sites. I am trying to find out where all their fruit trees are, because the fruit is free and tasty. Everything I eat is from the village. The rice, bananas, eggs, bread, coffee, chocolate, and herbs are all grown in the hills around Ballena. The fish and shrimp come from the lagoon.
Starting in December I am going to formally begin my Community Analysis. Until then, I will continue to learn more about Ballena, its people and culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment