Picassa Slideshow

"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed—doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.

But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps—who works in a foreign land—will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace."

John F. Kennedy, 1961

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Goodbye Ballena… Hello David!

I left my community Bahia Ballena yesterday for the last time and moved into my new house in the city of David, which is located across the mountains in the neighboring province of Chiriqui. This experience was both exciting and a little sad. I am looking forward to my new role as coordinator for the agribusiness seminars for a few months until I start as regional leader in November but at the same time I am leaving behind my neighbors, friends and family who I already miss. However, I now live with such amenities such as lights, running water, wireless internet and have a refrigerator. So the first thing I did was went out and bought milk, cheese and a few pounds of bacon.

I am leaving my community in good hands. Earlier this month, a new Peace Corps volunteer arrived from the agricultural sector and has begun their service. The community lucked out, because they new volunteer is a great person and a hard worker.

I will continue updating the blog with accounts of my new experiences here in Chiriqui.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the past couple of years

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.969136071565.2413149.18409731&l=d1dc130599

No comments:

Post a Comment