Dear Panama PCVs,
As we prepare for the upcoming round of Regional Meetings later this month, I wanted to give you a brief update as to where we stand in our process of growth. It appears that due to the on-going Continuing Resolution and the subsequent budget worries, Peace Corps Headquarters has decided to scale back on growth plans around the world. The Agency will level off at 9,500 Volunteers this year and depending upon whatever budget is eventually passed, the overall numbers may begin to drop once again. The bottom line is that all government agencies are being asked to scale back their growth plans.
How does this affect Panama? With the arrival of Group 67 this month, we will have grown to approximately 220 Volunteers. It appears that this may be our peak number for now. I don’t think we will be able to achieve the 250 to 300 Volunteers that our growth plan contemplated. I hope that we are able to maintain between 200 and 220 Volunteers over the next couple of years. We are continuing with construction of the new office in Ciudad del Saber with a projected March moving date. We also plan to move forward with our Regional Office in David.
The previously mentioned budget issues along with new agency wide project and training initiatives are requiring us to make some tough decisions. In addition to reducing the number of Volunteers we had projected for growth, Peace Corps Headquarters has asked us to immediately begin reducing the number of projects we have in Panama. They want us to drop from our plan of 6 projects (plus Peace Corps Response) to a total of 4 projects and Peace Corps Response. As you know, the Teaching English group arrives next week and we were gearing up to add a 6th project – Youth.
In order to meet these demands, we have decided to halt the implementation of the Youth project. We believe that addressing youth development needs in Panama is vital and it continues to be a priority area for Peace Corps globally. We will therefore be working closely with those Volunteers already working in youth focused assignments to look at ways to incorporate Youth programming in our other projects moving forward. Their work, and their input, will be essential.
We have also decided to phase out our Community Economic Development project. We will not receive a new group of CED Volunteers in 2011. CED will likely be phased out over a 2 to 3 year period, with critical components of the project incorporated into our remaining projects. The CED project has developed excellent materials over the years that have been used here in Panama and all over the Peace Corps world. Current CED PCVs and staff will be working together to build a legacy, worthy of its strong reputation. They will work closely with stakeholders and agency counterparts to sustain the best of CED in their own initiatives.
I know this is difficult news for some to absorb. I would rather not go into further details in this short explanation, but I want to reassure all CED Volunteers that they will continue to be supported by a full team of staff throughout their service. All CED Volunteers will serve under the supervision of APCD, Lisa Andrusyszyn. Lisa Spink will continue as a Programming Specialist for traditional CED PCVs and Johana Castillo will continue as a Programming Specialist supporting the Youth-focused CED PCVs.
I would be happy to discuss the changes at our Regional Meetings later this month. I will be attending most of the meetings and if I am not there, Jenn will be. I’m sure you will have questions and suggestions and we are looking forward to hearing them. Remember that as a U.S. Government Agency, we are dependent upon the Congress to support our efforts. Unfortunately this means that we will go through regular ups and downs as legislators change and economic strength varies.
I ask that you help us look for the positives in all of this and continue to look for ways to make Peace Corps Panama stronger.
I look forward to seeing all of you in a couple of weeks.
Saludos!
Brian
I have a lot of respect for Brian, our country director. He is extremely professional and popular among current volunteers. Also, our program staff, such as Lisa do a great job. However, the choices that were made in Washington have forced each Peace Corps program around the world to make some tough decisions. Because we are a Government Agency, we are susceptible to the whims of Congress, who ultimately decides our budget.
These budget cuts will not change my service - I will complete my remaining year doing exactly what I started with the full support of the office. However, after I leave, pending political attitudes in Washington concerning the amount of Peace Corps funding, my program and other initiatives will cease to exist.
No comments:
Post a Comment